i own 2 of each - A118 and A119. Only reason I have both is because I got the 18 when it was brand new around 2 years ago, and the 19 wasn't even on the drawing board yet. now, the 19's are my main front and rear cameras, and the 18's are side-facing cameras.

technology is always improving. that's why the 118 is cheaper - it's older, slightly out-dated tech. not that the 119 is bleeding edge, but it's newer/better tech than is used in the 118.

Spytec buy directly from @viofo

Any video you see on YouTube has been re-encoded, never a good place to make judgments on image quality

Spytec have always bought this version and there have been no cost cutting changes like the knock off version has had

If it's any help I've just purchased the Auto-Vox B60 version from Amazon and although number-plates of oncoming cars can be read in bright sunlight, when the light goes down so does the video quality and number-plates become blurry.

I can upload a few photos for comparison over the next few days between bright and darker days if it will help.

Ah Okay. The B40 I had was absolutely terrible haha. Looked like the same quality as one I bought from eBay for £15!
Actually say, the B40/A118C night video is not very good due to the lens, so why we plan to upgrade it with better lens.

About the Auto-VOX B60, it seems it still use NTK96650+AR0330 solution.

... the B40/A118C night video is not very good ...

Another reason to buy the A119 instead, with it's better low-light performance, particularly now that the nights are getting longer here in Europe.

.....I'm really just after a dashcam that can read number players <plates?>........

Then you're in for a bit of disappointment. It's only in good conditions that most cams can capture a plate.
At dawn, dusk, cloud, rain, fog or high speed, most cams will struggle. I recently posted this screenshot from the highly-praised-in-the-UK Nextbase 402G (not that I would buy another) - you'd be lucky to identify the make of car, let alone capture the number plate!

-

Is "NT96650 Chipset + Aptina AR0330 Lens" any good?
it's what the A118 uses, though technically the AR0330 is an image sensor and is completely independant from the lens. you can use the same chipset/sensor combo and get wildly different results depending on the lens you use. case in point - i reviewed the iTrue X3 (NT96650/AR0330), and compared to the A118 (NT96650/AR0330), the X3 was MUCH brighter at night because it uses a different lens. I don't know what the difference is in F-stop or whatever (i don't remember that stuff from my high school photography class 20+ years ago) but it's obviously different because the night video was brighter. It didn't really have any more detail, but it was visibly brighter in a side by side comparison. but the X3 was a large camera with lots of chrome that i didn't care for, and since it can only mount with a suction cup, it's even more bulky. i prefer stealthy cameras so they don't attract thieves. so i kept the A118 as my main camera, and i just keep the X3 in my desk drawer for when i have to drive a rental or borrow someone's car, or in case one of my cameras dies unexpectedly. Because now that i've had dashcams for so long, i practically feel naked without one! It's similar to the feeling you get when you leave the house and get to the end of the street and suddenly realize you didn't put on your seat belt before you left.

Actually say, the B40/A118C night video is not very good due to the lens, so why we plan to upgrade it with better lens.

About the Auto-VOX B60, it seems it still use NTK96650+AR0330 solution.
Where can we find Beta firmware updates for A119?

Ah Okay! Thats pretty interesting to hear!

Have you got the spy-tec model?
yes, my original battery a118 (not C) came from spytec. my a118c came from gearbest in a raffle they held on the forum, but again, that was when it was brand new and so it was the original viofo unit - there were no clones yet.

Is the new 118 called the 118c? I thought the new 118 was the a119?
Is there a link explaining the difference between the current a118 and the revised forthcoming model ?

Edit. Scratch that. I read the post about about the new version only in the same forum lol. Lazy me. Sorry

Sent from my SM-G928T

Last edited:
Is the new 118 called the 118c? I thought the new 118 was the a119?
Is there a link explaining the difference between the current a118 and the revised forthcoming model ?

Edit. Scratch that. I read the post about about the new version only in the same forum lol. Lazy me. Sorry

Sent from my SM-G928T
A118 = original model, powered by li-po battery pack. No capacitor.
A118C = first update, replaced lipo battery with super capacitors, added rtc battery to store time and date, added vents to sides of housing
A118v2 = not yet released, updated lens, still has super caps, some other minor tweaks as well.

A119 = completely new model released in July, better processor, sensor, super caps, new housing, lens can pivot left or right as well as up and down.
A119S = update to A119, with Sony image sensor, different lens, minor tweaks, due out very soon.
A119G and A119SG = same as above but with gps mount.

What confuses me a little is that some online ebay trader, use ( well in their listings) show an autovox version battery and a capacitor version, this seems very cheap for a USA based firm?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/282066909876
This other seller, his store lists 2 autovox and blueskysea, one battery and one cap which I might buy.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/281896180473

I wouldn't trust this seller, the listing doesn't match, if it really is local it would only be the copy version anyway

I buying my A118 batt. version from blueskysea, working very well with any viofo firmware (even capacitor firmware), i have GPS and working perfect. I guess blueskysea is viofo partner

Welp, i bought that spy-tec one and it arrived today. Its a MASSIVE improvement from that AUTO-VOX model, I'm in love with it! Haven't tested it at night however although don't have any high exception for night time haha!

Post a new video please.... so we can see the difference.

Back