Blackvue DR500GW-HD : New official firmware?

Hillbilly said:
BlackVue said:
Hello everyone,

The discussed firmware is beta version, stable release will come later.

Well as you are observing on here perhaps you could put the 1.005 on your download section for those that want to use it.

There is no Firmware for the 500 on there at all nor was there for the 400II.

As you will notice someone is having trouble with a camera with poor focus as well. How should he fix that.

Lots of us have bought cameras from various sources and are quite happy with them but would like a bit more manufacturer support.

Obviously you have a group of authorized outlets but it seems that other suppliers can buy them wholesale and sell to us so why not support us as well.

You are after all gaining revenue from increased sales regardless of who on sells them.

We are well aware of your pains.
We'd love to let you all just download English firmware, but it would infuriate our overseas distributors. But not doing this, makes angry you, our customers. We are trying to work it out now.

Hillbilly said:
You are after all gaining revenue from increased sales regardless of who on sells them.
Can't say it better!
In my point of view, English firmware should be free international firmware. One who needs native voice translations could buy from local distributors.

"We'd love to let you all just download English firmware, but it would infuriate our overseas distributors. But not doing this, makes angry you, our customers. We are trying to work it out now."

You did with the 350/380 and 400 original so why not as previous poster says, produce everything with English and perhaps English/second language as an option for Countries like Korea /France Denmark or wherever for their consumption.

Commerce is global these days and buyers will look for the best price where they can get it.

I understand what you are saying about overseas distributors but I resent paying 33% more just to buy locally for the same thing.

Hopefully you will take some of the things the developers on here are doing and incorporate it into future Firmware and make your product better.

My suggestion is go back to the type of lens that was in the 400 which gives a much better picture than the wide angle in the 500.

This makes everything look to far away and hard to read numberplates. The magnifier is useless as well as no matter what I try it cant read a plate as it just goes into unreadable pixels.

Even using it on video taken on a 400 is just as bad. It appears your promotional material has been enhanced to a point that we cant replicate in the real world.

Cheers

Hillbilly said:
"We'd love to let you all just download English firmware, but it would infuriate our overseas distributors. But not doing this, makes angry you, our customers. We are trying to work it out now."

You did with the 350/380 and 400 original so why not as previous poster says, produce everything with English and perhaps English/second language as an option for Countries like Korea /France Denmark or wherever for their consumption.

Commerce is global these days and buyers will look for the best price where they can get it.

I understand what you are saying about overseas distributors but I resent paying 33% more just to buy locally for the same thing.

Hopefully you will take some of the things the developers on here are doing and incorporate it into future Firmware and make your product better.

My suggestion is go back to the type of lens that was in the 400 which gives a much better picture than the wide angle in the 500.

This makes everything look to far away and hard to read numberplates. The magnifier is useless as well as no matter what I try it cant read a plate as it just goes into unreadable pixels.

Even using it on video take on a 400 is just as bad. It appears your promotional material has been enhanced to a point that we cant replicate in the real world.

Cheers

Will pass that on to engineers and management

Guys your wasting time with this lot, for one the dashcam is needing some serious bitrate increase and the customer support is non existent. They speak of reputation to overseas distributors whilst accepting a lack of English support... Jeez they can barely speak English as it is, if you want support and a quality camera stay clear or use the hacked firmware. It took several ruskies to nail the bitrate because video output was so poor.

You will be better off replacing the dashcam and using a mobile phone to record with some tape around the headrest! Trust me, I bet the video quality is 10x better.

If you want to see registration plates with clear output instead of a zoomed out image speak with jokiin. Half the price, double the output quality... Like I said, stay clear of blackvue junk, it's overpriced tinsel and I'm yet to see anyone that can prove the quality, customer service is worth the effort over other brands.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Last edited by a moderator:
Milamber,Why can not I see your video? :(
"private video viewing"

@Milanber
He's right. You posted a private video which we can't see.

maybe he only wants a few people to see it.

Milamber said:
Guys your wasting time with this lot, for one the dashcam is needing some serious bitrate increase and the customer support is non existent. They speak of reputation to overseas distributors whilst accepting a lack of English support... Jeez they can barely speak English as it is, if you want support and a quality camera stay clear or use the hacked firmware. It took several ruskies to nail the bitrate because video output was so poor.

You will be better off replacing the dashcam and using a mobile phone to record with some tape around the headrest! Trust me, I bet the video quality is 10x better.

If you want to see registration plates with clear output instead of a zoomed out image speak with jokiin. Half the price, double the output quality... Like I said, stay clear of blackvue junk, it's overpriced tinsel and I'm yet to see anyone that can prove the quality, customer service is worth the effort over other brands.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JEIKoKt ... ata_player

Whilst your criticisms may be valid it would be far better to be polite and try and work with them to correct perceived faults.

Abusing them will get you nowhere.

Do you speak Korean??? Dont slag them for poor English At least they have come on here and appear to be listening.

Mio said:
"private video viewing"

Sorry, fixed :)

Hillbilly said:
Whilst your criticisms may be valid it would be far better to be polite and try and work with them to correct perceived faults.

Do you speak Korean??? Dont slag them for poor English At least they have come on here and appear to be listening.

So far as being polite, I am not being rude. What I have stated is fact - the quality of their cameras is questionable, their customer service is a joke, they don't listen to buyers and their cameras are over priced. What do you want me to do, tell them its all OK and acceptable or write the above with smiley faces and a slant towards "they are doing their very best?". So in short Hillbilly, No I wont accept crap service and I'm sure as hell not gonna sit on my butt and listen to it without pointing out some fact.

Milamber said:
Mio said:
"private video viewing"

Sorry, fixed :)

Hillbilly said:

So far as being polite, I am not being rude. What I have stated is fact - the quality of their cameras is questionable, their customer service is a joke, they don't listen to buyers and their cameras are over priced. What do you want me to do, tell them its all OK and acceptable or write the above with smiley faces and a slant towards "they are doing their very best?".

A wise man once said if you cant say anything nice say nothing at all.

What you stated is your opinion and you arent even using one of their cameras

It is impolite to criticize their lack of English, as several others on here also have English as a second language and you havent slagged them We accept you are unhappy with the quality of their cameras but to post as you have is rather unacceptable.

I too find some things about the cameras could be better but think politely pointing out what could be better is a way to getting a solution rather than what you have posted.

If you did that to me I would be offended and you would get nothing in return.

Hillbilly said:

It is impolite to criticize their lack of English, as several others on here also have English as a second language and you havent slagged them We accept you are unhappy with the quality of their cameras but to post as you have is rather unacceptable.

I too find some things about the cameras could be better but think politely pointing out what could be better is a way to getting a solution rather than what you have posted.

That wise man is the reason the world is in such a poor state today, with governments and people that sit back and absorb all the trash that is digested daily because they are to afraid to point out the problems.

I have owned Blackvue products and I also owned the DR500, which is why I speak from experience. Here are videos from the camera - not bad eh!

Milamber said:
Hillbilly said:

That wise man is the reason the world is in such a poor state today, with governments and people that sit back and absorb all the trash that is digested daily because they are to afraid to point out the problems.

I have owned Blackvue products and I also owned the DR500, which is why I speak from experience. Here are videos from the camera - not bad eh!

Thanks for the video also confirming that the blackvue cannot focus on some license plates.

For $300, at the very least, the camera should be able to pick up a license plate.

I am in contact with both the ebay seller and pittasoft and they are "working" on an exchange. I'll update on how this all turns out.

Milamber, that camera is bloody awful, send it back. but I still recognise you driving down marion road marion there on the second one but the first one looks familiar but cant place it, cross rd?. great to see some familiar footage.
that idiot in the Cruze that cuts in front of you without indicating, if you had decent focus you could take that to the cops for an unsafe lane change. you would have heard my horn in that video if I was the driver and maybe some abuse when I went past him next.

Glad to see a representative from BlackVue has joined the forum (email and IP address are legit for anyone interested). Welcome and we look forward to your input.

If anyone wants a direct link to the "Beta v1.007E firmware", I've hosted it here. I scanned it for viruses and it appears to be clean.

Milamber said:

The video is very clear indeed.

M-Element said:
Milamber said:

The video is very clear indeed.
another cool video of marion road sturt going under the southern express way.
what camera is that from??

wozzzzza said:
what camera is that from??

This is Jokiin's camera, he is from the forums here. Jokiin has a factory and smashes out dashcams of all custom designs with a bit rate of 15mbit/sec LOL, to get some perspective on what that means, the Blackvue outputs around 5mbit. I don't have a blackvue anymore - I sent it back in January 2013 and replaced it with a a FineVu CR500 and then replaced that with a VicoVation TF2+ which is just perfect, quality, night footage and customer support is outstanding - email replies within 15-30mins everytime.

BlackVue said:
Hillbilly said:
BlackVue said:
Hello everyone,

The discussed firmware is beta version, stable release will come later.

Well as you are observing on here perhaps you could put the 1.005 on your download section for those that want to use it.

There is no Firmware for the 500 on there at all nor was there for the ..............

We are well aware of your pains.
We'd love to let you all just download English firmware, but it would infuriate our overseas distributors. But not doing this, makes angry you, our customers. We are trying to work it out now.

Absolute nonsense Blackview! The ONLY place I should be getting firmware updates from is YOU , not some overseas distributor. I get Apple updates from Apple and Microsoft updates from Microsoft. I get my Sony Camera Updates from guess where? SONY. So why are you hiding behind some nonsense dealership Areas of Influence and why not support your products and POST EVERY SINGLE OFFICIAL UPDATE AVAILABLE ON THE BLACKVIEW WEBSITE!
It's software that is useless without owning a camera. Otherwise why bother posting English manuals on your website.

defbear said:
Absolute nonsense Blackview! The ONLY place I should be getting firmware updates from is YOU , not some overseas distributor. I get Apple updates from Apple and Microsoft updates from Microsoft. I get my Sony Camera Updates from guess where? SONY. So why are you hiding behind some nonsense dealership Areas of Influence and why not support your products and POST EVERY SINGLE OFFICIAL UPDATE AVAILABLE ON THE BLACKVIEW WEBSITE!
It's software that is useless without owning a camera. Otherwise why bother posting English manuals on your website.

These "distributors" are tying to monopolize on the US consumers. Trying to prevent a fair competition by allowing us to buy the dash cam cheaper overseas and apply the US firmware via download.

These cameras are damn expensive. If my replacement still has the same issues with focusing on license plates, I'm going to return it back for a full refund. There are APPS (99 cents - $1.50) that can convert my smartphone into a dash cam. They sell $15 windshield adapters on ebay.

My old smartphone I no longer use can take better videos than a cam specifically created to record videos.

Back