Custom Firmware Thread: *RELEASED* Ver 1.1.1aE [DR500GW-HD]

Re: Custom Firmware for DR500GW-HD | Higher bitrate | No sta

Anyone else tell me their file size per 1min file at 120000kbps please ? Toggling normal or high compression makes no difference to file size on mine which leads me to believe it is stuck in high compression which may explain why the picture is still pretty poor at 12k ??

Thanks.

in a custom firmware degree of compression is ignored
If 12000 is not satisfied, put 15000

I haven't tried any of the firmware offerings, but just reading through the thread (as a new owner scouting the options) I'd like to say Thanks! for your efforts in this thread. I'm looking forward to trying some of this out.

The firmware updated, but I'm having trouble with the stamp part.

This part of the instructions is the problem for me I think:
2. Flashcards to record your file av_server1.out (with the appropriate folder) (on flashcards - Blatskvue,avserver.sh,av_server1.out)

Also, perhaps related to the stamp issue the Record folder is no longer saving files even though the recording start audio is playing. :(

-----
Update: Apparently one of the combinations I tried did remove the stamp, it just didn't give me any "updating" audio cues. Once I removed the remnants of my multiple attempts at putting the files in various directories (i.e. cleaning house) the camera behaved normally (normal audio cues, files being recorded, etc.).

Yay. :)

Now to figure out how to set the bitrate...
-----
Update: At High compression, the 12 Mbps rate drops to ~5.9 Mbps. Setting to Normal (PROFILETYPE=0 in the config.ini) woke up 12 Mbps.

themyst said:

Here is a high-stress video (lots of trees, cars, rain, etc.) at 12mbit (WATCH IN 1080P). The artifacting is pretty much gone and I'm pretty happy with the mod. Now I need to format a 64gb microSD in Fat32 with 12kb clusters so I can save more video :)

Nice videos with 12Mbps. Thanks for sharing. Are you sure you can use 64GB?

Last edited by a moderator:

cheetos said:
themyst said:

Here is a high-stress video (lots of trees, cars, rain, etc.) at 12mbit (WATCH IN 1080P). The artifacting is pretty much gone and I'm pretty happy with the mod. Now I need to format a 64gb microSD in Fat32 with 12kb clusters so I can save more video :)

im using a 64gb sandisk class 10 sdxc card and it seems to be working fine. im on the stock firmware too.

how many hours are you guys getting with 64gb cards?

hello guys,

i got my DR500GW-HD today.
which firmware should i flash?
i want smooth high res video.

i dont want to read all 225 replies :)

thank you

regards
pit

heiNey said:
cheetos said:
themyst said:

im using a 64gb sandisk class 10 sdxc card and it seems to be working fine. im on the stock firmware too.

how many hours are you guys getting with 64gb cards?

At such low driving speed there are always less artifacting :|

Well here is a test clip uploaded direct from the app..running the custom firmware at 15000kpbs !!!

As much as I love many aspects of the cam IMHO it looks a lesser quality compared to my GS8000 (while it actually lived anyways), night footage is admittedly a better quality however !

Since this vid I lowered the brightness in the software to minimum and that made a small difference.

There is so much to love about this camera and so much to be frustrated about at the same time :( (apps both Apple OS and Android have terminal flaws imho sadly)

The GS8000 camera angle is the same?
DR500 has a very wide angle, and loss of detail. Many scientists have overlooked a lens with a focal length 3.6 parts that would have been better

There is a couple of GS8000 clips on my tube account, the view angle is similar.

Do you think the different between the stock firmware running half the Kbps is that much different to the footage I have uploaded, there is a little artifacting but hardly twice the data rate better, what do you think Mio ?

At least with the custom firmware we get to play a little with these things tho :)

wozzzzza said:
jsan said:
I painted the lens shroud black, using a paint pen.
i did this too, i dont know why on earth they made it silver, stands out way too much. very stealth now. i also painted the silver holder black.
also interested in seeing how you go with the firmware fix with UART just incase i do something and receive the brick afterwards.

I did not want to paint the holder (completely irreversible!), althought I found it far too visible from the outside. Therefore I covered it (before mounting it on the windscreen!) with a self-adhesive foil "velours style" (german: Veloursfolie). I think, it works very fine, the holder is not visibile any more.

By the way: Toyota must have known, where I want to hide the cable, these guys just prepared several slots at the right place :p

Thomas

Attachments

• DSC01528.jpg
    DSC01528.jpg
    302 KB · Views: 220
  • DSC01531.jpg
    DSC01531.jpg
    162 KB · Views: 220
  • DSC01534.jpg
    DSC01534.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 220

Hi,

Can anyone enlighten me how can I get the upgraded firmware to increase the bit rate?

So I finally received these cables and I am ready to fix my cam. Hopefully Mio can shed some more light onto how to proceed from here.

EDdQxSf.jpg

q7Df6CY.jpg

oHfnZ2e.jpg

This is the instruction image. Not really clear which one the arrows are pointing at.

Hf1QrlH.jpg

Hello,

I installed the custom firmware and so far it works. Only my GPS no longer works. With the official version 1.005 i had always GPS at the camera. Can anyone tell me how the GPS function can activated or what settings I need to change for that?

Thanks.

Voyag3r said:
Hello,

I installed the custom firmware and so far it works. Only my GPS no longer works. With the official version 1.005 i had always GPS at the camera. Can anyone tell me how the GPS function can activated or what settings I need to change for that?

Thanks.
Wow u are lucky. The gps cannot be turn off. I also encounter the smiliar thing as u. At first no gps at all. After that I drop my cam, I fix back n the gps detected. Lolz. My gps signal had been lost for one month.

hi,

GPS is back. Do not know whether by itself or by changing the settings. I have changed the time zone in the Blackvue Software to a City that is next to my location. Then i opened the config file on the SD card and have changed the value in the line SpeedUnit=0 to 1.

speedunit.jpg

I already changed MPH to KM/H. But the timestamp is not correct now. I will try to fix it next.

Here two sample videos with normal bitrate and custom bitrate. It is not the same route but i think there is a difference visible.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fAEq7qQ3t6M

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eE8q4AqNoso

bitrates.jpg

Thanks to Dscheng for the reply and special thanks to Mio for the firmware.

Absolutely, a large thanks to Mio for all his help around here to other members.

Marcus said:
Well here is a test clip uploaded direct from the app..running the custom firmware at 15000kpbs !!!

As much as I love many aspects of the cam IMHO it looks a lesser quality compared to my GS8000 (while it actually lived anyways), night footage is admittedly a better quality however !

Since this vid I lowered the brightness in the software to minimum and that made a small difference.

There is so much to love about this camera and so much to be frustrated about at the same time :( (apps both Apple OS and Android have terminal flaws imho sadly)

Hi,

Are you driving a big truck or what? There are bird **** on your windscreen haha. Nice 15mpbs video, but beware of overheating issue.

Back