Is there such thing as a side view dashcam? (For your car doors)

View attachment 34318
Wait, WHAT?! Where can I get that dino skeleton?
In fact, where can I get that HOUSE? The plantings, the porch, the https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Painted_ladies look... Seriously, I love it.
But again, about the skeleton...

Well, for a house like that you'd have to come to Vermont to buy one. Houses like that are quite common here. It's New England, after all.

As for the T-REX skeleton, all you have to do is visit your local Home Depot around Halloween time or go to their web site. They sell a remarkable selection of such things. :happy:

https://www.homedepot.com/b/Holiday...Decorations-Halloween-Yard-Decor/N-5yc1vZc9ri

t_rex.jpg

halloween_props.jpg

@Dashmellow
How did you get the mount to stick to the ceiling of the car? Was it velcro that you used?

I pulled the headliner back a bit and carefully applied a wad of special drillable, sandable epoxy putty about the size of a tennis ball up behind the headliner and pressed it in slightly so it was back to the way it looked before I started. I was very careful in applying the putty and masked off everything to insure that I didn't make a mess. This provided a very solid but invisible support I could attach a camera mount to using two small screws. To look at the headliner you would never know that I did this and if I remove the mount you would only see two small screw holes.

I pulled the headliner back a bit and carefully applied a wad of special drillable, sandable epoxy putty about the size of a tennis ball up behind the headliner and pressed it in slightly so it was back to the way it looked before I started. I was very careful in applying the putty and masked off everything to insure that I didn't make a mess. This provided a very solid but invisible support I could attach a camera mount to using two small screws. To look at the headliner you would never know that I did this and if I remove the mount you would only see two small screw holes.

@Dashmellow
So you added support material behind the carpet. That's slick!
Thanks

@Dashmellow
So you added support material behind the carpet. That's slick!
Thanks

BTW, THIS is the material I used. It's called Perma-Chink E-Wood and it's amazing stuff. (but very pricey). When cured it is very light weight and can be cut, drilled and sanded easily. I only happened to have some because a contractor who worked on my house gave me a tub of it that he didn't need anymore and figured I could use it before the shelf-life expired. The product proved so useful for so many projects I would buy more.

BTW, THIS is the material I used. It's called Perma-Chink E-Wood and it's amazing stuff. (but very pricey). When cured it is very light weight and can be cut, drilled and sanded easily. I only happened to have some because a contractor who worked on my house gave me a tub of it that he didn't need anymore and figured I could use it before the shelf-life expired. The product proved so useful for so many projects I would buy more.

@Dashmellow
Thanks for the link to perma-chink. I'm thinking about mounting a Viofo A119 to the side of my truck. My Toyota 4runner has a rear-side fixed window on both sides. I need to test it out, mounting the cam on the glass to see if that works first.

@Dashmellow
Thanks for the link to perma-chink. I'm thinking about mounting a Viofo A119 to the side of my truck. My Toyota 4runner has a rear-side fixed window on both sides. I need to test it out, mounting the cam on the glass to see if that works first.

nymphaeles, Please forgive me but it's been a LONG very hot day here and I realized that I just gave you a good answer to the wrong question because when you asked about "ceiling" I was thinking about how I mounted my REAR facing camera to the headliner of my Tacoma, not my side cameras. My truck also has fixed rear side windows but they are recessed. I simply mount my side cams to the top of the recessed window frames using 3M VHB tape (the grey stuff that removes easily and cleanly, not the black stuff). I "think" your 4-runner fixed glass side windows may be very similar depending on what year your SUV is. I use Mobius cams on the side and rear but this technique will work fine with a Viofo A119. I've done it with a SG9665GC which is what I happen to have installed on the right side at the moment.

Anyway, sorry for the wrong info but it may be useful to you in the long run, even for your side mount if this works for you.

Anyway, here is what my side mount looks like on my Tacoma.

Mobius-side-mount.jpg

Last edited:
@Dashmellow

I found a photo of the rear interior of a 2015 4-Runner Limited. If your fixed rear windows look anything like this then you can simply mount your cams to the top of the recessed window frames like I did.

2015-Toyota-4runner-Limited-Rear-Interior-1024x682.jpg

I found a photo of the rear interior of a 2015 4-Runner Limited. If your fixed rear windows look anything like this then you can simply mount your cams to the top of the recessed window frames like I did.

View attachment 40617

@Dashmellow
I have a 2010 Limited 4Runner and it looks exactly like this. I like to mount an A119 to the left or right fixed window in the back at an angle more to the front so that I can review the activity along the sides of the vehicle. The top recessed window frames seem not deep enough for the length of the Viofo A119. While I can mount that A119 vertically, it seems to be awkward with the lens head facing up. With the lens facing down, its cable sticks out hitting the top frame and causes the lens to be lower than what I want the view to be. I need to try to fit it on again in the weekend to see if it works.
Thanks.

@Dashmellow
I have a 2010 Limited 4Runner and it looks exactly like this. I like to mount an A119 to the left or right fixed window in the back at an angle more to the front so that I can review the activity along the sides of the vehicle. The top recessed window frames seem not deep enough for the length of the Viofo A119. While I can mount that A119 vertically, it seems to be awkward with the lens head facing up. With the lens facing down, its cable sticks out hitting the top frame and causes the lens to be lower than what I want the view to be. I need to try to fit it on again in the weekend to see if it works.
Thanks.

Recently, when I mounted a SG9665GC temporarily as a side cam and I used furniture leveling wedges similar to the photo below to achieve the desired angle for the lens. I used 3M VHB tape between two wedges and attached the cam to the sandwiched wedges and then to the window frame. I agree about the idea of monitoring the sides of my vehicle and I tend to angle my side cams pretty steeply. I find it valuable to keep a close view of the side of my truck as close to the pavement as possible, especially when parking. With the proper lens you'll be able to have adequate coverage for both the lane next to you as well as the side of your car. See this early Mobius B lens example to see what I mean. I agree with @jokiin that the B1W cam can make for a decent and easy to install side mount camera, but the lens coverage is not the best for your purpose. If you can get the A119 to work the FOV coverage from that cam would be better for side cam use in my opinion. As for the cable sticking out, on my vehicle I use a cable clip and loop the cable so that it is out of the way and tucked in so that it doesn't really stick out too far. I'll see if I can grab a photo tomorrow to show you what the install looks like. I'm reasonably sure you can find a way to mount the A119 even though it may seem a bit long.

lockingwedges.jpg

Last edited:
@nymphaeles, Since we were talking about the headliner installation I did with the rear camera, this is what it looks like. The photo is a bit older and I've since modified the mount to give it lower profile but you get the idea. You'd never know I put epoxy putty under the headliner to create a solid, stable mounting surface. Also, by putting the hooked side of some Velcro on a cable clip I discovered that it can attach to the headliner material.

mobius_rear_mount .jpg

@Dashmellow
Thanks.
The only thing you need to keep in mind is if you have 3rd row seats in your 4 runner, you probably also have side curtain airbags back there. If so, I wouldn't mount anything to the plastic around the windows. Keep the a119 on the glass and you should be good. If it's on the plastic, the camera could potentially become a projectile I'd the side airbags go off. Having personally witnessed the power of an airbag (steering wheel airbag launched a land cruiser tire over the roof of a warehouse), I have solid respect for them and am very careful with them.

Hadn't considered that as my truck has no side air bags but certainly something to take into consideration if there are airbags in that location and third row seats are in use.

I have a 2010 Limited 4Runner
I have a 4th-gen. A small suction-cup with a ball-mount can be placed almost anywhere, would give you 3DF for orientation, and can be re-positioned as often as you like without dealing with adhesive. And you can remove the cam (e.g. for security) without disturbing the cup.

@nymphaeles, Since we were talking about the headliner installation I did with the rear camera, this is what it looks like. The photo is a bit older and I've since modified the mount to give it lower profile but you get the idea. You'd never know I put epoxy putty under the headliner to create a solid, stable mounting surface. Also, by putting the hooked side of some Velcro on a cable clip I discovered that it can attach to the headliner material.

View attachment 40627
@Dashmellow
Thanks for the pics.
This morning I use a suction cup mount from an A119 Pro to mount it to the rear right fixed window. This is just a test mount to see what the FOV looks like from that mount point. Eventually, if this works out well, I'm going to run that cable so that it is not dangling. I'll post a FOV when I have a chance.
@jokiin
I'm seriously considering a B1W for this location. Maybe I'll order it from Amazon soon. I just miss the 2K resolution and the adjustable lens head that the A119 has.
Thanks!

1533741619930.png

The only thing you need to keep in mind is if you have 3rd row seats in your 4 runner, you probably also have side curtain airbags back there. If so, I wouldn't mount anything to the plastic around the windows. Keep the a119 on the glass and you should be good. If it's on the plastic, the camera could potentially become a projectile I'd the side airbags go off. Having personally witnessed the power of an airbag (steering wheel airbag launched a land cruiser tire over the roof of a warehouse), I have solid respect for them and am very careful with them.
@Gibson99
Side airbags certainly a concern when mounting any objects on the sides. My truck doesn't have 3rd row seat, and doesn't equip with 3rd row airbags.

@Dashmellow
Thanks for the pics.
This morning I use a suction cup mount from an A119 Pro to mount it to the rear right fixed window. This is just a test mount to see what the FOV looks like from that mount point. Eventually, if this works out well, I'm going to run that cable so that it is not dangling. I'll post a FOV when I have a chance.
@jokiin
I'm seriously considering a B1W for this location. Maybe I'll order it from Amazon soon. I just miss the 2K resolution and the adjustable lens head that the A119 has.
Thanks!

View attachment 40638

Check out @TonyM's thread on using the B1W as a side cam before taking the plunge. It makes for a nice discreet installation at a modest price but as someone who has been experiementing with and using side cams for a number of years now I find the FOV too narrow.

https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/b1w-side-facing-camera.33748/

Check out @TonyM's thread on using the B1W as a side cam before taking the plunge. It makes for a nice discreet installation at a modest price but as someone who has been experiementing with and using side cams for a number of years now I find the FOV too narrow.

https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/b1w-side-facing-camera.33748/
This is the FOV from an A119 mounted about midway on the rear side fixed window of my truck. FOV looks pretty good and can be improve by adjusting the angles. The A119 has 160 degree FOV while the B1W is listed as 150 degree FOV. Mounting the A119 on this side window seems to be challenging while the B1W mounting is definitely easier. What do you think?

Attachments

• 2018-08-08_9-20-29.jpg
    2018-08-08_9-20-29.jpg
    377.2 KB · Views: 24
Back