SG9665GC firmware update

...when we first started this model we didn't have that function available as a hard coded option but now that we do it's the better way to go, there will be updates coming for both pre and post hard calibration versions over the next few weeks
Does this imply there's a difference in hardware or just a major change in firmware philosophy and implementation?

Does this imply there's a difference in hardware or just a major change in firmware philosophy and implementation?
We're working with a newer SDK now, its mostly about implementation, we are always doing minor revisions though, we're into our 5th production run now and there's still some changes we're doing, just minor tweaks, things we can do better, no matter what we do there's always room for improvement

We're working with a newer SDK now,...
I suspected that might be the case.

Just one more question on the subject and then I'll try to crawl back into the woodwork. Once things settle down from a F/W perspective will there be any 'real world' differences between the current product and those in the first release? Don't misconstrue my question as I'm very happy with mine, I'd just like to know because, well, I'd just like to know. :eek:;)

Last edited:
processor, sensor, optics etc are all unchanged so it's still going to deliver the same end result when it comes to video performance so nothing you'd be able to pick in A-B testing, we have some minor tweaks that have happened in every production so far, will keep doing that as we find ways to improve things or do them better, it has actually driven the cost up with changes we've made, we haven't passed that on as it's all stuff that has needed doing in my opinion, all changes have been changes for the better, we're not about cutting costs or trying to find ways around problems, just want to make better products

processor, sensor, optics etc are all unchanged so it's still going to deliver the same end result when it comes to video performance so nothing you'd be able to pick in A-B testing, we have some minor tweaks that have happened in every production so far, will keep doing that as we find ways to improve things or do them better, it has actually driven the cost up with changes we've made, we haven't passed that on as it's all stuff that has needed doing in my opinion, all changes have been changes for the better, we're not about cutting costs or trying to find ways around problems, just want to make better products
One of the reasons why Street Guardian is a quality purchase

I'm getting a bit confused. Bought my SG9665GC in July from Pier28 (great transaction, BTW), and it has the March'15 firmware. A couple of questions:
1) has new firmware been released?
2) does my dash cam have some kind of factory settings stored away in the unit?
3) I have a few pixel shiners that show up in nighttime recordings. Is the newer firmware supposed to automatically eliminate them?
Thanks!

I'm getting a bit confused. Bought my SG9665GC in July from Pier28 (great transaction, BTW), and it has the March'15 firmware. A couple of questions:
1) has new firmware been released?
2) does my dash cam have some kind of factory settings stored away in the unit?
3) I have a few pixel shiners that show up in nighttime recordings. Is the newer firmware supposed to automatically eliminate them?
Thanks!

1) new firmware is shipping with new units that have sensor calibration data locked. Firmware for existing customers is in testing now. There is activity in the private section. We just released 2 more test builds and one is using the latest SDK

More info:
https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/sg9665gc-firmware-update.11806/page-3#post-192995

2) yes there is a factory default reset option in the menu.

3) If you flashed any firmware prior to September you'll lose the saved Sony sensor calibration settings and it will cause a few hot pixels at night. I will send you a private message with the special calibration instructions. Check your inbox shortly.

Last edited:
3) If you flashed any firmware prior to September you'll lose the saved Sony sensor calibration settings and it will cause a few hot pixels at night. I will send you a private message with the special calibration instructions. Check your inbox shortly.

Can you also PM me the special calibration instructions? I've noticed quite a few hot pixels on my unit. Must've been cause when I updated to May's firmware and then rolled back to March. The hot pixels didn't really bother me because the night videos were still outstanding. Also didn't know whether it can be fixed until I read the above. Thanks.

In my case I never tried to flash the firmware. That's why I'm trying to better understand if the factory sensor calibration setting data should automatically be eliminating the hot pixels, or if that will happen automatically once the new firmware is released for the units they shipped this past July. or if I need to do the manual calibration (which I would prefer not to have to).

We can't get the automatic method to work correctly so far so it might need to be done manually at least one time. Some previous units were shipped missing the correct calibration a few months ago as well.

In my case I never tried to flash the firmware. That's why I'm trying to better understand if the factory sensor calibration setting data should automatically be eliminating the hot pixels, or if that will happen automatically once the new firmware is released for the units they shipped this past July. or if I need to do the manual calibration (which I would prefer not to have to).

it will have to be manual, it's not that hard to do but if you're really uncomfortable doing it I'm sure we could arrange to get your camera back and @Pier28 could do it for you, would mean being without your camera for a few days though

I don't mind helping people calibrate for them via USPS or walking people through. We have a video walk through as well.

Thanks all. When the new firmware is ready for my SG9665GC (July shipment / March FW), I’d like to ship my dash cam back to Pier28 to have the following updated:

1) flash the new firmware
2) take care of the hot pixels
3) make sure the factory sensor calibration is correct & properly stored

Note I also have a CPL on order.

Jon just let me know when it's time for me to ship my unit back to you.

Much appreciated!

we changed a couple of things so that you can't accidentally install the incorrect version of firmware over your existing firmware, it meant splitting it to two different releases but it was important to not undo the calibration settings on the latest production version, when we first started this model we didn't have that function available as a hard coded option but now that we do it's the better way to go, there will be updates coming for both pre and post hard calibration versions over the next few weeks
@jokiin I was just wondering if there was any further news about the two firmware updates mentioned above?o_O

Last edited:
Hi,

My Boss just bought one of these cameras for me to use in my company car. I only just installed it yesterday and it is producing nice videos, but the date keeps resetting to 01/01/2015.

Is this a firmware issue or something else I'm doing wrong? The camera says the current firmware version is SG20150926.V2 - What version should I install to resolve this problems?

Thanks in advance.

Back