VIOFO A129 Duo new Cameras including Infrared for Uber Lyft Taxi

I suspect these are two totally different Lenses and the Pre-Production non-IR is the replacement for original Rear camera. The IR Camera has wide angle Lens 145-165 FOV while non-IR is narrow approx 130 FOV. My samples seems to have the same circuit board minus the IR Lamps but must review the IR disassemble videos for each to compare more accurately.

Last edited:
I don't expect Viofo to use the DCTTeam rear camera mod idea for A119 Duo because it needs a modified rear cable. For a new product is OK to create a new cable connectors design but for older product can introduce too much questions and troubles from the buyers.

enjoy,
Mtz

But Im not sure what reasons other drivers would want the cam for

Well in today's world i am sure many a low life would try to claim " he/she was on the phone when he/she crashed into me"
It also seem like that's what some of the evil cops would claim / site your for.
I do have a cabin camera myself, but i don't really feel i have a urgent need for it, but to prolong the period where i am using/testing the B1W camera i decided to put it on my mirror stalk facing into the car.
And that work just fine aside for in low light conditions.

Until Viofo reveals the actual retail A129 Duo IR Camera on their website with specifications and cable description the A129 IR Camera works fine during my 2 months of testing Day & Night with original 6m long cable. It's always good to know an accessory works with all other accessories in any configuration including all firmware Menu setting combinations. My WiFi APP doesn't include the IR Camera Color option yet. Must wait to see if they design some type of swivel/angled miniUSB connector but its doubtful since they already sent the shorter 55cm cable with same straight & right-angle ends as 6m. I don't plan on peeling back the cable insulation to see if its shielded but can run some RF interference tests.

Once more Testers have this IR Camera and mount to windshield aimed inside vehicle and share footage, one thing will be very obvious, the depth of focus. I'll leave that to others to confirm if adjustment is required. Switching back to my preferred non-IR 180 degree rotatable Lens out the rear window with CPL Filter attached until another version of IR Cam Firmware is released for testing or new version of camera is produced.

Last edited:
The A129 in single camera mode at 60fps uses 0.44 Amps at 5volts, lowering to 30fps consumes 0.35 Amps. As expected when new IR Camera is connected and IR Lamps are activated in Mono Mode the power consumption increases to 0.64 Amps or higher. Decided to compare all 4 cameras against each other limiting each to 15 seconds. Actual Test ran 5 mins per camera to find peak power draw which is shown in this condensed demonstration. IR Camera should be available for purchase end of March 2019 on VIOFO's website.

Last edited:
Very nice video, it is OK, but the Amps are for 5V voltage. For 12V the Amps have lower value. I expect people are more interested about Amps for 12V.
Could be nice if in your video you offered also the Amps value for the 12V.
From what I read from internet, Power = Volts * Current, so:
5V * 0.35A = 1.75W which means: 1.75W / 12V = 0.15A
5V
* 0.44A = 2.20W which means: 2.20W / 12V = 0.18A
5V * 0.56A
= 2.80W which means: 2.80W / 12V = 0.23A
5V * 0.64A
= 3.20W which means: 3.20W / 12V = 0.27A

Again, people are afraid to drain their car batteries when are using the dashcams in parking mode so they are more interested about the real consumption. If you have the power to make another video like this but to include the 12V values could be a great value.

enjoy,
Mtz

Very nice video, it is OK, but the Amps are for 5V voltage. For 12V the Amps have lower value. I expect people are more interested about Amps for 12V.
5V
5V * 0.56A
5V * 0.64A

Again, people are afraid to drain their car batteries when are using the dashcams in parking mode so they are more interested about the real consumption. If you have the power to make another video like this but to include the 12V values could be a great value.

enjoy,
Mtz

the 5V info is useful for someone that wants to run a camera from a powerbank, for anyone else the 12v info is more beneficial

5V
5V * 0.56A
5V * 0.64A

enjoy,
Mtz
You missed the point so let me make it perfectly clear using your own words:
"Again, people are afraid to drain their car batteries when are using the dashcams in parking mode so they are more interested about the real consumption" when powered by 5 volt Power Banks.

now lets review some Facts
  • Running any Accessory including Radio or Dashcam for hours everyday with engine off will over time damage the vehicle battery and shorten its lifespan. (there is a term for this but it escapes me at the moment)
  • I will never run Parking Mode from my vehicles 12volt battery system.
  • This power consumption demonstration is not recorded in a vehicle.
  • This power consumption demonstration doesn't use the Hardwire Kit.
  • This power consumption demonstration uses a 5 volt Power Bank.
  • This power consumption demonstration was created for 5 volt Power Bank users.
  • This video could be nice if I created it for your approval only.
  • in this Forum there are 31,708-Threads / 443,982-Messages / 52,189-Members and you took the time to once again post your bold words in my tiny Thread, it continues to amaze me.

OK, good luck! All other 52188 members are happy now because you added more details for your video demonstration. Maybe from tomorrow all 52188 will start using powerbanks to save their car batteries and Viofo to stop selling the HK3.
Even I don't agree 100% with your videos I always pressed like button because I appreciate your work.
From this last video I can calculate the needed values for me so your values are very good for people which know how to use them.

enjoy,
Mtz

The new IR Camera retail version is reported to have slightly larger field of view from my early test sample, estimate new IR Cam 150-160 FOV Lens, and a very nice improvement. The current IR Firmware version remains at v1.01.
As of April 2019 the Infrared Camera still isn't available from Viofo's website but it now lists VIOFO 128GB Professional High Endurance MLC Memory Card UHS-3 with Adapter at a reasonable price.

Great news... It will be available in only 3 more weeks!!!

The new A129 Duo IR Front and Interior Dual Dash Cam 5GHz Wi-Fi Full HD 1080P Buffered Parking Mode for Uber Lyft Taxi is listed on Viofo's website for $180.
This confirms the IR Camera itself won't be available as an accessory probably until 1,000's of bundles are sold.

The new A129 Duo IR Front and Interior Dual Dash Cam 5GHz Wi-Fi Full HD 1080P Buffered Parking Mode for Uber Lyft Taxi is listed on Viofo's website for $180.
This confirms the IR Camera itself won't be available as an accessory probably until 1,000's of bundles are sold.

Interior infrared camera will be sold separately, will be available soon.

I see they list "Buffered Parking Mode Supported", looks like Viofo will be having this feature as standard for the A129 once they have properly tested the software. Wonder if the buffered parking will be standard through out their entire line of dashcams?

I see they list "Buffered Parking Mode Supported", looks like Viofo will be having this feature as standard for the A129 once they have properly tested the software. Wonder if the buffered parking will be standard through out their entire line of dashcams?
Buffered Parking feature is always better than non-buffered so I'd expect all models will use this preferred feature. Only possible downside is Buffered Parking Mode requires the new 3-wire Hardwire Kit but haven't actually tested this requirement. It would be excellent if Buffered Parking worked from Power Banks on at least one Time Lapse Mode.

Wonder if the buffered parking will be standard through out their entire line of dashcams?
Only the dashcams that were built with enough internal RAM memory for the buffering, so I don't think there is any chance of the earlier A119 dashcams supporting it.

The A129 was built to support future firmware upgrades, I wonder what else it is capable of ???

Buffered Parking feature is always better than non-buffered so I'd expect all models will use this preferred feature. Only possible downside is Buffered Parking Mode requires the new 3-wire Hardwire Kit but haven't actually tested this requirement. It would be excellent if Buffered Parking worked from Power Banks on at least one Time Lapse Mode.
Buffered parking mode support working with 2 wires hardwire kits or power bank.

Last edited:
Back