A119 Firmware

well, if the camera already writes 1080p@60fps why not to write those 60fps @ 1440p? or @ 1296P? is that too much data for the chipset? what about @45fps?

I already wrote that anything over actual values are not supported by the chipset.
60FPS is possible under 1080p. 60FPS is not possible for 2K.
45FPS is useless for 1080p if we already have 60FPS. I remember Mini 0805 added for the first time the 45FPS option and is used by almost nobody. For a dashcam is more imporant a higher resolution compared to FPS.

enjoy,
Mtz

may be you're right.
now imagine that who ever makes the chipset (let say Novatek) desided to slightly reduce the potential of the chipset to the public, and the chipset can actually record the video 1296P@45fps. is that not possible? :)

may be you're right.
now imagine that who ever makes the chipset (let say Novatek) desided to slightly reduce the potential of the chipset to the public, and the chipset can actually record the video 1296P@45fps. is that not possible? :)

technically possible, they don't though

I already wrote that anything over actual values are not supported by the chipset.
60FPS is possible under 1080p. 60FPS is not possible for 2K.
45FPS is useless for 1080p if we already have 60FPS. I remember Mini 0805 added for the first time the 45FPS option and is used by almost nobody. For a dashcam is more imporant a higher resolution compared to FPS.

enjoy,
Mtz
It is limited by chipset.
If Novatek release their 4K chipset next year, maybe there will be some not very expensive 4K dash cam coming out.

I can confirm the change regarding 1440p being recorded at 24mbps. I checked the video properties and I can also see that the 10 minute loop file size is now 1.68GB, compared to the previous 1.02GB at the lower bitrate.
so before a firmware v.2 install you would probably say that "the higher bitrate is not supported by a chipset", right?

technically possible, they don't though
:) people say what they say not because it's true but because they have a reason to say so.

It is limited by chipset.
is it possible that the current chipset works @ 80% or even less of its maximum power? and the limitations on a chipset set to satisfy most of the buyers for at least of a year or more due to possible overheat etc?

@viofo - [IGNORE]Ver. 2.0 downloaded today has a power off bug. If you manually power off the camera, while power is still being supplied to the camera, the camera will turn on automatically after about 12 seconds and start recording video. [/IGNORE] (Was an issue with my USB power brick causing camera to power up again.) ]The camera has also twice displayed the format warning when it powered up automatically despite the card having been formatted minutes earlier.

Things I'd like to see in next version:
1 - Power off warning sound (very important)
2 - Prior and current file lock after g-sensor is triggered (very important)
3 - Menu option to change recording light from solid to flashing when recording
4 - More visible change when audio recording is muted (small slash mark is hard to see)

Last edited:
@viofo - Ver. 2.0 downloaded today has a power off bug. If you manually power off the camera, while power is still being supplied to the camera, the camera will turn on automatically after about 12 seconds and start recording video.

4 - More visible change when audio recording is muted (small slash mark is hard to see)
I wonder if they have individually controllable LEDs under the buttons... if so, then maybe they could use the one under the mic button to indicate mic mute.

I would prefer the light stay solid when recording. I would think it would be distracting at night to have it flash.

Last edited:
@viofo - Ver. 2.0 downloaded today has a power off bug. If you manually power off the camera, while power is still being supplied to the camera, the camera will turn on automatically after about 12 seconds and start recording video.
My camera does not have this problem. Powered it directly from camera, from GPS mount, with or without GPS mount I don't have this problem.
Are you sure you installed the loader?

enjoy,
Mtz

@viofo

Indeed it is very important to lock two files in case alert is triggered close to the end or at beginning of file!

Please note that this would be only one extra file move to ./RO directory (not file copy). It takes very little processing power to move a file, nothing like file copy. Its just file move where only file location table is adjusted to specify new place in file system ;)

I wonder if they have individually controllable LEDs under the buttons... if so, then maybe they could use the one under the mic button to indicate mic mute.

Last edited:
[/QUOTE]
@viofo - Ver. 2.0 downloaded today has a power off bug. If you manually power off the camera, while power is still being supplied to the camera, the camera will turn on automatically after about 12 seconds and start recording video. The camera has also twice displayed the format warning when it powered up automatically despite the card having been formatted minutes earlier.

I just tested this with my camera as well and it did not turn back on. I haven't had the format warning either. Did you default your settings after the update?

I formated, used loader, and reset all to defaults. I will download firmware again and reinstall just in case there was some glitch when I updated the firmware on my camera.

I formated, used loader, and reset all to defaults. I will download firmware again and reinstall just in case there was some glitch when I updated the firmware on my camera.

Just checked mine, no problems with it restarting by itself. It does restart if you then remove power and re-connect. Are you sure you didn't have a momentary power loss like maybe bumped the cigar plug?

I found out the problem. I have 5 USB power bricks. Luck would have it that the one I grabbed for some reason must turn off and back on automatically causing the camera to start up. I tried the camera with the other 4 bricks and with none of them the camera powers back on again automatically. Sorry for the false alarm. Just a weird power brick issue with one of mine.

Back