Is there such thing as a side view dashcam? (For your car doors)

I suspect claims against drivers not doing what they are supposed to do are on the rise, cuz you can always claim the other guy was on the phone or something, just like the phone junkie i captures the day before yesterday, she was hard at work with the phone and her long peroxide hair.
This is actually why i would like a camera on myself while i drive.

A little Danish mumbo jumbo text in the footage, and me on a rare occasion speaking Danish, but other than that video speak for itself.
Side cameras are so good (y)

I suspect claims against drivers not doing what they are supposed to do are on the rise, cuz you can always claim the other guy was on the phone or something, just like the phone junkie i captures the day before yesterday, she was hard at work with the phone and her long peroxide hair.
This is actually why i would like a camera on myself while i drive.

A little Danish mumbo jumbo text in the footage, and me on a rare occasion speaking Danish, but other than that video speak for itself.
Side cameras are so good (y)
Yes, what is needed is for our cars to broadcast the 360 in-car footage so that you could have recorded a really good view of her from her 360 camera while she was on the phone and driving the wrong direction in the lane at the end of the video!

hehe she definitely hit the wrong turn lane in the end, i also suspected she turned over the painted area but that's actually legal i see.
Her wild swerving during PIP was not due to me honking ( i wish i had ) but that was just her over-correcting after getting into my lane and i even think she nicked the curb on the left.

One thing is for sure brainpower was not in use operating that vehicle.

Honking would be dangerous, she might overreact and hit you, what you need is a flashgun mounted next to your side view camera ;)

This is a interesting approach to 360 degree recording
https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/360-panoramic-mirror-camera-in-japan.31428/
firstscene-x66-15-jpg.34278

Yeah, I notice that post too and thought the approach to 360º capture was very interesting. Most other 360º camera captures these days are very disorienting whereas this seems more like an old school cylindrical panoramic or QuickTime VR capture. The question for me is what is required for viewing the files off the camera? How would you hand off such a file to law enforcement or use it in court? You wouldn't be able to scan around a 360º panorama at will on a traditional .MOV file.

Yes i an not too worried by a light camera getting torn off and accelerated by a inflating airbag and then maybe hit me or a person i care about.
You'll care when you realize that it's traveling around 200mph/320kmh, abs may be broken with sharp edges because of the sudden impact of the airbag...

Yeah even the airbag itself are a pain at the speeds they deploy at, i think its the main reason why seat belts are still a smart thing to use as they give a delay and time for the airbag to deploy before you hit it.
And i would not like to get a mobius in the head at those speeds that's for sure, but something much less heavy that might or might not hit me i can deal with i think.
Ar least i would rather wake up in a smoke filled wrecked car with a extra dent to my skull or a extra cut somewhere, and be able to document i was in no way to blame for this mess, and so be entitled to what i have coming.

But i think if you deploy cameras at the bottom of the window on a door, then the curtain are inflated to a large degree when it get down there ( i think not know how large those airbags actually are )

I am sure it can be done without making the car a even larger deathtrap than it already are.

One idea i think i have mentioned before are for the camera unit to have a guide "lip" that go down in the door between the glass and the trim, and so should along with some double sided tape on the bottom ensure the camera unit have a good chance of not get dislodged by something coming down on it from above.

Plenty of room here airbag dont even reach where i propose to put a side camera.

Last edited:
Yeah, I notice that post too and thought the approach to 360º capture was very interesting. Most other 360º camera captures these days are very disorienting whereas this seems more like an old school cylindrical panoramic or QuickTime VR capture. The question for me is what is required for viewing the files off the camera? How would you hand off such a file to law enforcement or use it in court? You wouldn't be able to scan around a 360º panorama at will on a traditional .MOV file.
Normally suchs camera comes with Wi-Fi connection,we can review its video footage on smart phone APP.

Normally suchs camera comes with Wi-Fi connection,we can review its video footage on smart phone APP.

No, that's not quite what I am talking about.

Police officers, lawyers, insurance companies and courts of law need standardized methods of submitting, viewing and archiving evidence. They are not going to fool around with special 360 degree videos or specialized viewing apps they don't already have on their computers and know how to use such as a standard media player. Dash cam video is legal evidence. If you want your legal or insurance case to be successful you need to make sure your dash cam evidence is as easy as possible for anyone and everyone in the chain of custody to view it or hand it off to another party.

Police officers, lawyers, insurance companies and courts of law need standardized methods of submitting, viewing and archiving evidence. They are not going to fool around with special 360 degree videos or specialized viewing apps they don't already have on their computers and know how to use such as a standard media player. Dash cam video is legal evidence. If you want your legal or insurance case to be successful you need to make sure your dash cam evidence is as easy as possible for anyone and everyone in the chain of custody to view it or hand it off to another party.
+1

most public service type business PC's are pushing it just to playback 1080p footage, anything more complex than that is going to cause problems

most public service type business PC's are pushing it just to playback 1080p footage, anything more complex than that is going to cause problems

1080p video on a standard media player is pretty routine these days, at least in the US, but yeah, the point is that it needs to be a no-brainer for anyone who needs to view the evidence to have immediate access to it without jumping through any hoops.

1080p video on a standard media player is pretty routine these days, at least in the US, but yeah, the point is that it needs to be a no-brainer for anyone who needs to view the evidence to have immediate access to it without jumping through any hoops.

yeah I think when it gets beyond 1080p you'd be pushing your luck, 2k, 4k etc is too much for a lot of systems already, last thing you'd want if you want your evidence looked at

So you need to convert it to 1080p, selecting the viewing angles during the edit and panning to show what happened, maybe using PIP to show two views at once.

Of course the result may then show a misleading truth rather than the whole truth, but as long as the prosecution has access to the raw files and has the opportunity to show it in the way they prefer then it is fair. Might not be accepted in Dashmellow's court, but elsewhere it could be very useful.

You can do the same with your 4K dashcam video, turning it into 1080 while using zoom and pan in the edit to show full detail where required.

So you need to convert it to 1080p, selecting the viewing angles during the edit and panning to show what happened, maybe using PIP to show two views at once.

Of course the result may then show a misleading truth rather than the whole truth, but as long as the prosecution has access to the raw files and has the opportunity to show it in the way they prefer then it is fair. Might not be accepted in Dashmellow's court, but elsewhere it could be very useful.

Dashmellow has been in the actual situation of submitting dash camera video to actual prosecutors in an actual criminal matter so Dashmellow has a level of experience with this sort of thing beyond the vicarious speculation you are indulging in @Nigel.

For one thing you are ignoring the fact that you not only have prosecutors but also defense attorneys in the mix. If you need to scroll around in a special smart phone or tablet application in a courtroom looking at "RAW" video you won't get too far with your case or be able to present it to a large audience like a jury for review. You need "raw" video that can be presented to a court on a large TV or monitor using software they have readily available.

When submitting evidence to law enforcement officers, state attorneys considering whether to bring charges, or insurance actuaries you don't have the facility or opportunity to "edit" or "select the viewing angles" in a specialized app.

The more difficult you make it for the wide range of people in a legal matter to review your evidence the more you will compromise your own case. It may easily even be a matter of just getting your case into a court of law in the first place.

Last edited:
For one thing you are ignoring the fact that you not only have prosecutors but also defense attorneys in the mix. If you need to scroll around in a special smart phone or tablet application in a courtroom looking at "RAW" video you won't get too far with your case or be able to present it to a large audience like a jury for review.
Everything on that smartphone would then be subject to scrutiny and cross-examination. Not a very smart idea.

Not to mention that the average Joe probably doesn't have the knowledge or inclination to bother with editing/etc to give the judge/attorneys what they want from an uncommon video format.

I can speak from the IT side because that's my day job - I work IT at Large international law firm. And we routinely deny requests from attorneys who want to install some bizarre media player, codec pack, etc because quite often they come with malware/trojans/etc. We can't afford to take the risk of being hacked. Stick to established standards and it magically becomes much easier for EVERYONE involved. That's why standards were created in the first place.

Yes, I know there may not be an established and accepted standard for 360 video yet, but until there is, it's best to break it up into separate files in the camera so regular folks can view them easier. If you want to have whiz bang software that puts it back together in a cylinder for VR headset or something, that's fine, but don't make it a requirement or you alienate a lot of people.

Not to mention that the average Joe probably doesn't have the knowledge or inclination to bother with editing/etc to give the judge/attorneys what they want from an uncommon video format.

I can speak from the IT side because that's my day job - I work IT at Large international law firm. And we routinely deny requests from attorneys who want to install some bizarre media player, codec pack, etc because quite often they come with malware/trojans/etc. We can't afford to take the risk of being hacked. Stick to established standards and it magically becomes much easier for EVERYONE involved. That's why standards were created in the first place.

Yes, I know there may not be an established and accepted standard for 360 video yet, but until there is, it's best to break it up into separate files in the camera so regular folks can view them easier. If you want to have whiz bang software that puts it back together in a cylinder for VR headset or something, that's fine, but don't make it a requirement or you alienate a lot of people.
+1

You make a good point about malware. In dealing with the criminal matter I referred to above, I learned that the State Police in my area will not download video from any online cloud service and in conjunction with that will not click on any links to such files in an email. They will not accept files directly emailed to them. They require that all "digital media" (their term) be submitted on CD or DVD so that it can be scanned prior to loading onto their computers for viewing. On DVD or CD it also becomes a form of "physical evidence" with a chain of custody. Obviously, the files need to be easily viewable using software they already possess across their entire organization.

Last edited:
Yeah even the airbag itself are a pain at the speeds they deploy at, i think its the main reason why seat belts are still a smart thing to use as they give a delay and time for the airbag to deploy before you hit it.
And i would not like to get a mobius in the head at those speeds that's for sure, but something much less heavy that might or might not hit me i can deal with i think.
Ar least i would rather wake up in a smoke filled wrecked car with a extra dent to my skull or a extra cut somewhere, and be able to document i was in no way to blame for this mess, and so be entitled to what i have coming.

But i think if you deploy cameras at the bottom of the window on a door, then the curtain are inflated to a large degree when it get down there ( i think not know how large those airbags actually are )

I am sure it can be done without making the car a even larger deathtrap than it already are.

One idea i think i have mentioned before are for the camera unit to have a guide "lip" that go down in the door between the glass and the trim, and so should along with some double sided tape on the bottom ensure the camera unit have a good chance of not get dislodged by something coming down on it from above.

Plenty of room here airbag dont even reach where i propose to put a side camera.

The most cars nowadays in regards to Sedans and Hatchbacks has a small glass window behind the rear-seats as seen in the video you've linked.
These windows are most commonly not being subjected to the curtain-airbags as these deploy to protect the passengers head against side-hittings where the rear passenger doors are located. Not further back in the car.

The proper place to install side-cameras is at the D-pillar for those cars that have the glass-window (Sedans, Limo and Hatchbacks) at the rear end.

Those who don't have that, etc. a Kia Rio which also would be a hatchback although a smaller model i think the best advice would be, to place the camera as far down from the roof as possible, to avoid it to come into conflict with the side curtains that also are installed in that kind of car, possible on the trim of the door.

Back