JooVuu X Camera

don't count on it, if they're thin there's generally a reason why
....hmh, just an example:
cpc.farnell.com/1/1/47021-pro-power-3pr-100m-3-pair-telephone-cable-ccs-white-100m.html

80V x0.25A= 5V x40A ??? o_O
(I must go to bed, doesn't make sense).../

Just broke out the magnifying glass, and my thin wiered samsung charger is just 0.7 A output.

The wire itself mesure 1.4 x 2.9 mm and is quite flexible, i for one wouldent mind simmilar thin wires to be supplyed with my dashcams.

A regular USB extension cable i have mesure 4.4 mm and it is round in shape and compared to the wire on the samsung charger extremely stiff.

I suppose a 2 lead wire mesuring 2 x 3.5 mm would be able to handle the power most current dashcams would need., and still that should be pretty flexible.

PS. i think that wall charger was supplyed with the SGS2 smartphone i had for a while.

One way or another, flat or round, you need a suitable wire gauge to handle the current and charging requirements for USB devices.

The Wikipedia page on AWG (American Wire Gauge) has a lot of good information on this, especially the Table of AWG wire sizes that gives resistance figures.

The Wikipedia AWG page makes special mention of USB cables.

"AWG is also used to describe USB cables, such as the common USB A to micro-B USB data / charging cables used to charge and sync smartphones and many other mobile devices. This is of particular concern to consumers, since thicker cables can potentially charge the device faster and with greater efficiency. When describing USB cables, AWG is specified with two numbers: First the gauge of the data transfer wires, followed by the gauge of the charging wires within the cable. Most USB cables are 28/28 AWG. However some cables that ship with tablets, and higher quality third-party cables, can be 28/24 AWG, 30/24, 28/21, etc, meaning the charging wires are thicker."

The wire gauge is especially important for dash cam users since we are using much longer runs of USB cable than most consumers using devices like smartphones. The other significant issue with dash cam USB cables, flat or round is the need for adequate RF shielding which will contribute to how thick and stiff the cable is. As much as we may want the cables to be thin and easy to work with or hide, we need them to perform adequately.

....hmh, just an example:
cpc.farnell.com/1/1/47021-pro-power-3pr-100m-3-pair-telephone-cable-ccs-white-100m.html

80V x0.25A= 5V x40A ??? o_O
(I must go to bed, doesn't make sense).../
Calculation is wrong, that cable is only good for 5V x 0.25A and a dashcam needs at least twice that.

Calculation is wrong, that cable is only good for 5V x 0.25A and a dashcam needs at least twice that.
80V Vs 5V ?

Thanks guys, I'll look in to all of your advice once home on a PC.
still, instead of standard 6 strand USB lead needing just two(power only) should be achievable (not 3) at least 2 times thiner as for portable power supply use. .. ?

80V Vs 5V ?
Makes no difference, if the wire melts then it is due to the heat generated within it and that depends on the resistance of the wire and the current traveling through it. The wire doesn't actually see a voltage, just a voltage drop along its length due to it's own resistance and that voltage drop is the same at 80V as it is at 5V. If you don't want it to melt then you either reduce the amps or you reduce the resistance by using thicker wire or more conductive wire (eg silver wire).

That is why we use high voltages for mains power and even higher voltages for high voltage power lines - you can get more power down the same cable at higher voltage without it melting.

Today I've seen a flat thunderbolt to usb iPhone data cable... But it is right that it was a short one !

I'm not a pro in the newest data transfer protocols but AFAIK I agree to the basic statements of dashmellows and Nigel and won't trust on data integrity through untwisted pairs for "long" distance !

The wire gauge is especially important for dash cam users since we are using much longer runs of USB cable than most consumers using devices like smartphones. The other significant issue with dash cam USB cables, flat or round is the need for adequate RF shielding which will contribute to how thick and stiff the cable is. As much as we may want the cables to be thin and easy to work with or hide, we need them to perform adequately.

interestingly on this subject I was bench testing a new firmware a few days ago and I'd plugged the camera into a USB powerboard and after a few minutes the camera turned off, turned it back on and the screen was flickering, moved the USB port to a 2A outlet, same result, screen flickering and the camera turned off after a couple of minutes, what I hadn't noticed at first is that I'd picked up a different USB cable which was quite thin, changed to the cable I normally use, back in the 1A outlet and camera was back to normal, was the cheap junk cable that was the problem

Yeah CCA cables are a big no no.

interestingly on this subject I was bench testing a new firmware a few days ago and I'd plugged the camera into a USB powerboard and after a few minutes the camera turned off, turned it back on and the screen was flickering, moved the USB port to a 2A outlet, same result, screen flickering and the camera turned off after a couple of minutes, what I hadn't noticed at first is that I'd picked up a different USB cable which was quite thin, changed to the cable I normally use, back in the 1A outlet and camera was back to normal, was the cheap junk cable that was the problem

I use a 15 foot Monoprice 28/28 AWG USB-A to mini-B shielded cable to run cameras in the rear of my vehicle and it always works fine with any camera except the mini-0806 pre-production sample Rayman sent me to test. If I switch to the 10 foot version of the exact same cable the 0806 works fine.

we use 24 or 22AWG for longer cable runs like that

an alternative in that situation is probably to move the power source closer to the camera and a use shorter USB cable

The heavier cable makes sense. I wish Monoprice sold something like that since their cables are good quality and dirt cheap. Unfortunately, their heaviest long USB cables are 28/24 AWG. I haven't been using the 0806 and as I say it hasn't been an issue in any noticeable way with other cams so for the time being it's not a problem. Can you recommend a source for heavier gauge cables for future reference?

I don't know anyone for low volume purchasing unfortunately, we get whatever spec we want but minimum buy is 1000 pieces

Wire gauge is important but strand count matters too (and I doubt that you'll find that spec from anyone). In a 5 strand wire, if one strand breaks you've just lost 20% of it's capacity. Better cables will have a higher strand count as well as a larger gauge. Current travels on the outside of a wire strand, so even with the exact same gauge, a wire having more strands will handle more current and be more efficient because it has more surface area on the wires themselves. Amperage tables are usually designed to calculate the worst-case scenario of one strand although some tables will specify "stranded wire". That number gets based on what the average stranded wire of that size is manufactured with, but in reality there is no standard for that- every manufacturer puts in whatever number of strands they want to. The lower the strand count, the cheaper and easier it is to make the wire.

I don't know about here specifically, but it has been found that many wires made in China recently are actually a smaller gauge than claimed since almost nobody checks those things. The insulation, being cheaper, is the expected size which hides the 'cheating' with most people. Good engineering calls for at least one gauge larger than you think you need for applications subject to flexing so it is rarely a problem unless you are using a marginal size to start with.

Phil

the main problem with cables from China is the rampant use of CCA, it degrades quite quickly and ends up not working after a while

I never could understand why anyone would even try making "CCA"- the two metals are incompatible and aluminum electrolysis has been a known issue for at least 100 years. All for the sake of cheapness and a fast profit I guess.

Phil

I never could understand why anyone would even try making "CCA"- the two metals are incompatible and aluminum electrolysis has been a known issue for at least 100 years. All for the sake of cheapness and a fast profit I guess.

Phil
It's only about low cost

Any word on when this will be shipping? I looked over the threads and the website but did not see a timeline for beginning sales. Did I miss it?

JooVuu can respond, but somewhere he said "soon". He wants to be sure the beta testing is thorough enough and I like that concept no matter how long he takes to be satisfied with the results.

Patience my friend, he will get us there soon :)

Phil

Back