Nextbase 522gw keeps freezing

I am on the new firmware and mine has frozen twice. I am turning off the low res recording and just doing hi res and going to leave my camera on all day to see if it freezes (in my house)

Well it froze very quickly. But I changed to a different sd card and it hasnt frozen in the last hour and a half. Will leave it on all day.

So I ordered a high endurance SD card with a write speed of 45mb/s and hopefully that fixes the issue (Nextbase support said the 522 has to write at 44mb/s and only their card at 3 x the cost of the one I ordered does that :) )

The Samsung Evo Plus U3 writes at about 60 and I've been using mine for about 3 years without a single blip.

It's not high endurance but over 3 years in 3 different cams I can't complain.

Haven't a couple of those cams been NB cams as well K?

Yes, I bought the card for a NB 412, transferred it to a NB 380, then a Viofo A119 V2 and now a V3. Same card, never missed a beat.

This is the card and various SDCard utility results:

Hi All,
only registered now to give my info on this topic - I myself had the exact same issue, cam freezing randomly with once even discharging my car battery completely. I drove from IE to Germany in September, checking the card realising it only recorded 2 videos each being corrupt (leaving home, then leaving ferry). I was running the 522GW (FW 19.1), including the back camera with SanDisk 128GB High Endurance U3 and all of it hard wired.

What I did to resolve the issue:
1. Downgraded the firmware to 16.3 via NextBase Firmware
2. Replaced the memory card with a 64GB Samsung Evo U3 (not formatted anywhere but on the camera, straight out of the package)
3. Disabled any additional stuff like Alexa or Bluetooth
4. Disabled the recording for both, high resolution and low resolution (so it only records in high resolution).
5. Changed the G-Sensor sensitivity to Low.
6. I also turned off the Audio recording, but this is just me - I just don't like to hear myself on the videos.
Note: Parking sensor is still activated.

Running this setup now since 4 days, and not a single issue with the camera itself. It switches on as it's supposed to, it switches off when it should.

Haven't tried the SanDisk again with the 16.3 firmware as I haven't had any time as of yet, and quite frankly I'm just happy it's working. Hope above can help someone experiencing the same issue.

Cheers,
Marc

New card arrived and stopped recording but screen was still working. With the first card the screen froze as well.
In between I used a 32gb card and that worked up until about 20gb then froze the device. Powered off and on again and then worked for 2 hours.
Tried a friends nextbase sd card and that frroze. I might need to look at 16.3 firmware.

Just an aside question Lanze1981. Why the 16.3 version and is that the previous version or many previous versions?

@NextBase Support can you tell us if there is a new beta firmware for the 522gw? And if no then can you guys help?

Last edited:
16.3 didn't work.

Weird thing is, get a frozen dashcam, power off and on and it starts writing again. It has to be the firmware. Why freeze the whole device? If its a memory card error and the dashcam spots the error, stop recording or reboot and continue recording, not just freeze the whole dam dashcam... Raised a support ticket, no reply yet. I also think its something to do with 128gb cards, using a 32 gb one and that recorded for 3 hours before freezing. 128gb card freezes within 10 minutes

Just to satisfy my curiosity can you download 'Speedout' and run your SDCards through it.

Note that Speedout, and other similar programs, must be run through a USB 3 port. USB 2 isn't fast enough to give a max speed reading.

I've had the 522GW installed (hardwired, ignition only) and working perfectly for over about 18 months. I bought the rear camera recently having plucked up the courage to run the cable properly throught the hatch back etc. I thought this would be the difficult bit but seems getting the camera to work reliably is by far the hardest part.

I have had the rear camera showing an image on occasion but most of the time when the camera starts it instantly crashes with the 'recording' icon stuck on 1 second. If I remove the HDMI connection to the rear camera and press the reset button the camera springs back into life and will (so long as I don't plug the rear camera back in) work perfectly again (I appear to be fortunate and haven't experienced the other locking / crashing / chiming issues others have reported).

As soon as I plug the HDMI cable back in the camera will reboot and then crash. If, however, I disconnect the camera using the 'audio jack' style connection at the rear camera end and then restart the camera, the rear image will appear. It will then fail again the next time I cycle the camera (i.e. the next time I start the car).

I thought this might be a poor connection at the rear camera end so have taped up the connection to hold it together - no joy, same result!

This is really frustrating having gone through the effort of running the cable - there is definately an issues here that Nextbase need to acknowledge and resolve.

PS I am using a 32Gb Nextbase card but have ordered a Samsung Evo Plus as advised in an earlier post and will also follow the formatting guidance to see if this makes any difference although I am sceptical.

I've had the 522GW installed (hardwired, ignition only) and working perfectly for over about 18 months. I bought the rear camera recently having plucked up the courage to run the cable properly throught the hatch back etc. I thought this would be the difficult bit but seems getting the camera to work reliably is by far the hardest part.

I have had the rear camera showing an image on occasion but most of the time when the camera starts it instantly crashes with the 'recording' icon stuck on 1 second. If I remove the HDMI connection to the rear camera and press the reset button the camera springs back into life and will (so long as I don't plug the rear camera back in) work perfectly again (I appear to be fortunate and haven't experienced the other locking / crashing / chiming issues others have reported).

As soon as I plug the HDMI cable back in the camera will reboot and then crash. If, however, I disconnect the camera using the 'audio jack' style connection at the rear camera end and then restart the camera, the rear image will appear. It will then fail again the next time I cycle the camera (i.e. the next time I start the car).

I thought this might be a poor connection at the rear camera end so have taped up the connection to hold it together - no joy, same result!

This is really frustrating having gone through the effort of running the cable - there is definately an issues here that Nextbase need to acknowledge and resolve.

PS I am using a 32Gb Nextbase card but have ordered a Samsung Evo Plus as advised in an earlier post and will also follow the formatting guidance to see if this makes any difference although I am sceptical.
Try to clean the rear connection, I had the same problem as you until I clean it with spray.

I've been 'corrected' a few times on this but I still think pushing 2 cameras onto a single SDCard could be too much data input for it hence it freezes.

There have been quite a few similar posts about 'all was well till I connected a second camera'.

The theme of the above posts was a buffering problem.

Last edited:
What I keep remembering is Nextbase themselves, posted somewhere here, that some of their cameras need at least 30mbps and I seem to recall Tiffany posting 50mbps write speed for one high spec camera.

Last edited:
What I keep remembering is Nextbase themselves, posted somewhere here, that some of their cameras need at least 30mbps and I seem to recall Tiffany posting 50mbps write speed for one high spec camera.
the card speed is plenty on any brand name card, they may not have done much work in firmware to support memory cards other than their own branded cards, that could be improved in firmware, their bigger issues are related to power, no getting around that with the current hardware though

Well I Never.....

My daughter has a 522gw with a rear camera. I got her to check and same firmware as mine.

So I ordered the exact same sd card as her as she gets no issues. I bought her the sd card, lucky choice.

I tested in my dashcam yesterday and ran for 4 hours with no freezes.

The card is as below:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/B07FC7VZ8G
Weird thing is my original card was the 128gb version of this which freezes the camera.

Anyway so far so good.

Now I think that as Nextbase dashcams are so fickle that nextbase should either build memory into the dashcam or provide in the box a card that works and charge extra.
I would rather pay for something that works than buy something that needs something else to work and then its luck if you get the right thing. Phones come with memory built in and we all buy them.

So "it has to be the firmware" was a bit of a misspeak then (to use the latest jargon)

Can you run your old card through a fake checker (h2testw) as there are a lot about.

Back