Viofo A119 Car DVR factory sample tests

Even you add the GPS part, the GPS feature can not work very well, as the GPS module is so close the camera PCB board, so it affected the GPS signal much.
We did much effort to get it works.
I assume there is some shielding between the camera and mount as well. And of course I would need a different mount too.

Do you plan to show the current speed in the video or will it be like the a118 and you can only see it with something like registrator viewer?

Last edited:
If they are going to change the lens, how hard would it be to swap out the current one?
If we changed the lens, and GPS is OK, we will send the new pre-production with package box to all the beta version reviewers who have post useful info here before today.
We thought it is not fair, if someone helped us a lot before releasing, but only got a beta version.

I assume there is some shielding between the camera and mount as well. And of course I would need a different mount too.

Do you plan to show the current speed in the video or will it be like the a118 and you can only see it with something like registrator viewer?

As Novatek changed the data format for the new NTK96660 platform, so currently the registrator viewer can not recognize the data.
The dashcam viewer can view the GPS info, please notice the GOOGLE data is not correct only in China.
A119 gps.jpg

Reactions: Mtz
It's almost flush when it's straight ahead, but it sticks out a little when it's rotated. Check out the other photos I took: http://www.gibson99.com/2016/04/viofo-a119b60-dashcam-pre.html
That sheds a bit more light on the subject.

I was referring to the lens being 'flush' with the rotating portion of the housing and putting the DIY CPL on that. There would definitely be a clearance issue if the lens were rotated to the extreme left or right though.

Probably all moot as it looks like there's a 'real' CPL in development.

That sheds a bit more light on the subject.

I was referring to the lens being 'flush' with the rotating portion of the housing and putting the DIY CPL on that. There would definitely be a clearance issue if the lens were rotated to the extreme left or right though.

Probably all moot as it looks like there's a 'real' CPL in development.
In practice, I find I only had to rotate a few degrees to the right to compensate for the curve of the windshield. I have it mounted above the left end of the rearview mirror, as viewed from inside, because any closer and the mirror mount was in the video frame.
IMG_20160415_172801~01.jpg

Could you post the original firmware the Beta A119 came out with ?
I know its a little blue , but I love how sharp the video is ...
So far the A119 has been a great cam , much like the A118c has been positively trouble free ...
Thank you for the opportunity ..

Hi Bill @viofo Any chance of new FW to be posted soon for the beta A119 or the new FW is only designed to work with the new lens and GPS?

Hi Bill @viofo Any chance of new FW to be posted soon for the beta A119 or the new FW is only designed to work with the new lens and GPS?
The firmware posted before can work with new lens and GPS version.
It there something we need improve or fix soon?
If we confirmed using the new lens, maybe will check the IQ again.

Hi Bill @viofo In the last days every time I start the car engine, the beta A119 asks me to format the microsd card. This has been reported by other forum colleagues as well. I asked about if you replicated this behavior and planning to release of a new FW that corrects this.

We are working on the CPL, need more testing, will be released after the camera.

View attachment 23068
Nice - I think I read somewhere the other day that some new cameras have a standard polariser layer built right into the lens - that would impact night performance slightly but maybe another option? I know the A119 is currently darker on dusk footage but the detail readings are as sharp as anything I've seen yet at that time of day and if it's built in the lens it could be coded for to compensate?

Hi Bill @viofo In the last days every time I start the car engine, the beta A119 asks me to format the microsd card. This has been reported by other forum colleagues as well. I asked about if you replicated this behavior and planning to release of a new FW that corrects this.
Yes, that and the occasional corrupt last file when LDWS is turned on.

Yeah, the popup for formatting the card gets annoying at times when you remove the card and transfer files, etc. But to me, it only happens the once I think. Haven't had much problems. Haven't tried LDWS still.

Yeah, the popup for formatting the card gets annoying at times when you remove the card and transfer files, etc. But to me, it only happens the once I think. Haven't had much problems. Haven't tried LDWS still.
We discussed this before and some of us as well as jokiin agreed that this was a good idea to remind people to do a fresh in camera format if the card had been removed. But the FW does allow you cancel the warning if you want. I like this feature.

Hey. I'd be glad to help, if any more testers are required. :)

The format warning supposed in below condition:
1. Never changed the default date/time
2. Files changed. Even if you just read the file on computer, it seems there is something different detected by the camera, maybe some hidden files
3. You set the format warning option, and it is time to format.

Back