Where did you mount the camera? Post your pictures

I think it is still a go, well depending on the type of camera you are going to use.

IIRC, @USDashCamera has a camera at the dashboard, although he uses it as a backup.

Have you considered mounting it on the sensor housing?

Last edited:
I think it is still a go, well depending on the type of camera you are going to use.

IIRC, @USDashCamera has a camera at the dashboard, although he uses it as a backup.

i did for awhile have a 1/4" tripod mount on my dash to use an innovv c2 or mobius during bad weather because my civics windshield wipers doesn't reach behind the mirror either as the passenger side wiper axis was on the far right and wiped out (left to right) instead of from the outside to behind the rear mirror. i ended up only ever using my back up mobius once or twice though out of laziness, but I really did not want the blackvue mounted on the dash because discreteness was one of the main reasons I like blackvue. i also ended up having a street guardian SG9665GC closer to the drivers side that ended up getting majority of the picture within the windshield wiping zone so I always had two front cams recording, with the blackvue for parking mode.

I would personally still recommend keeping it up top somewhere tho because the heat from the sun MIGHT (just a hunch, not totally sure) be worse on the surface of the dashboard which could end up damaging the cam in the long run.

I'm cross posting this from the Mobius board. I hope that is OK.

I just completed my Mobius install in my 2012 Subaru Impreza. I did not do anything too fancy, but I'm really happy with the install.

Imgur Gallery

I'll add some exterior shots once we get a sunny day.

I always find it somewhat funny that people go to extremes to hide a dashcam but sticking a enormous GPS/smartphone mount right smack in the middle of the screen is ok. :p:)

This is so true! Driving along at night time overtaking cars and it looks like they've got a plasma on the windscreen! How people get away with mounting sat navs below the rear view mirror is beyond me, some even have their dashcam screens on all the time, also lower than the rear view mirror, so with both dashcam and satnav sitting below the rear view mirror, both shining light in your eyes, you've basically got no vision of the outside world apart from the tunnel vision of only seeing immediately in front of you.

This renders the dashcam useless, because all it is going to record is you causing the accident because you couldn't see....and obviously such incriminating footage is going to be "accidentally" deleted!

I always find it somewhat funny that people go to extremes to hide a dashcam but sticking a enormous GPS/smartphone mount right smack in the middle of the screen is ok. :p:)

Not a fair comparison. The dash cam needs to be discreet because it'll be left mounted in the car whereas a smartphone or tablet would definitely be removed when exiting the vehicle.

Took me nearly 2 months to find the ideal phone mount that suited my car and requirements. I mount it on the dashboard when required (rarely) and it sits in the glovebox when not in use.

Do agree about some people mounting devices bang in the middle of the windscreen or even right above the steering wheel with wires hanging down and all the distracting LED's blinking away. What gives?!! :confused: :rolleyes:

Not a fair comparison. The dash cam needs to be discreet because it'll be left mounted in the car whereas a smartphone or tablet would definitely be removed when exiting the vehicle.

Took me nearly 2 months to find the ideal phone mount that suited my car and requirements. I mount it on the dashboard when required (rarely) and it sits in the glovebox when not in use.

Do agree about some people mounting devices bang in the middle of the windscreen or even right above the steering wheel with wires hanging down and all the distracting LED's blinking away. What gives?!! :confused: :rolleyes:

Bang on harsh. Different requirements require different solutions.

I've gone through a lot of cell phone mounting solutions over the years, and quite frankly the one shown in the picture is the best I can come up with for my car. It's a very challenging space with the low windshield and curvy dashboard. I really don't have many good options.

You're reading things I didn't write. I never said anything about smartphones or tablets, I only mentioned the mount. :rolleyes:

You're reading things I didn't write. I never said anything about smartphones or tablets, I only mentioned the mount. :rolleyes:

When you say "enormous GPS/smartphone mount", what do you mean? :confused: Normally it would imply that the mount is meant for holding a smartphone or GPS device. Wouldn't it?

I'm certain that people don't stick mounts to their windscreens for ornamental purposes. :p

If you want to drag this in resentment to my response in a different thread or maybe just for the heck of it, be my guest.

I ended up going with a mobius (from the question in this thread - https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/cam-suggestions-for-3rd-world-driving.21475/) and its so small and light i figured i could fab something up with my not so skilled hands; which i did, using a cheap aluminum strip (the kind used to attach stuff to those small, inset electrical junction boxes, or whatever you call them). I just bent it to shape with a hammer and painted it black, then attached it to the rearview mirror via the existing screw hole. Luckily i had a longer screw with the same threads. The mobius sticks to the strip with velcro. Still working on the wiring, thus cam not wired in the photo...

all.jpg

I ended up going with a mobius (from the question in this thread - https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/cam-suggestions-for-3rd-world-driving.21475/) and its so small and light i figured i could fab something up with my not so skilled hands; which i did, using a cheap aluminum strip (the kind used to attach stuff to those small, inset electrical junction boxes, or whatever you call them). I just bent it to shape with a hammer and painted it black, then attached it to the rearview mirror via the existing screw hole. Luckily i had a longer screw with the same threads. The mobius sticks to the strip with velcro. Still working on the wiring, thus cam not wired in the photo...

View attachment 27033

Ingenious DIY. Great job! :)

View attachment 27033

Dude! That is pretty brilliant! I approve.

Check out my Imgur gallery. It might give you an idea on how to do the wiring.

2hya2df.png

Is it ok or is it a no-go?

What do you think?

I hope this does not come too late, but I wanted to chime in on this one.

There are two concerns I have with the location indicated:

• Airbag clearance
  • Heat from the defroster
Keep those in mind before you place the cam there. If you don't think either will be a problem you should be OK.

Back